Monday, May 19, 2008

Waking Kendall up

I was talking with Kevin yesterday about the fact that Kendall went longer stretches in between meals on Saturday during the day than she did Saturday night/Sunday morning. He suggested that I not let her go such long stretches during the day. At first I did not like this idea, because it meant I would have to wake Kendall up during the day to eat. I never did this with Haley. By the time Haley was 5 days old, she was consistently eating every 4 hours, day and night.

But after I thought about it a little bit, I decided it would be worth waking her up during the day if we both got a little more sleep at night. So we woke her up two or three times yesterday at the 3 hour mark to feed her. Here is Kendall's eating schedule for yesterday:

Sunday
1 6:30 AM
2 11:10 AM (this was before I decided to wake her up every 3 hours)
3 2:15 PM (I believe we woke her up for meals 3, 4, and 5)
4 5:20 PM
5 8:30 PM
Monday
6 12:20 AM
7 2:55 AM (she really only ate half a meal rather than a full meal at this time)
8 6:00 AM

She ended up having 1 long stretch (between meals 5 and 6) and only 1 short stretch (between meals 6 and 7). We'll stick with the 3 hour plan during the day for now. Hopefully, we'll be able to get 2 long stretches at night before too long.

Differences between Haley and Kendall at this age are the length of time they went between meals as well as they way they woke up after naps. Haley was always furious. Her face would turn red and she was VERY anxious to eat. Kendall rarely wakes up that way. She may cry a little - even alot if she has a stinky diaper - but she is not usually too mad. Kendall also eats smaller meals than Haley did at this age. Neither of them are/were good burpers. I was rarely able to get Haley to burp, and I'm rarely able to get Kendall to burp, either.

We'll see how today goes!

No comments: