Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Stealing Cinderella

Haley and I had a priceless conversation in the car today on the way home. I actually pulled out a piece of paper and pen to write down some of the things she was saying.

My sweet little 3 year old is picking up some grown up themes from all the princess movies she has been watching. She has been asking me lately about getting married. Not long ago she said 'So, Mommy, you already married Daddy?'

Today, she asked me some more questions in the car. She said 'When I grow up, who will I marry?' I told her that if she wanted to get married when she grows up, she will marry a boy who she loves and who loves her, too. She replied 'Daddy loves me. Will I marry Daddy?' Of course this was so sweet, I had to pause and think about it before I told her she would not marry Daddy, but she would marry another boy. She quickly moved on to her next favorite topic. 'What wedding dress will I wear? How about a white fluffy dress like Ariel?' I told her yes, this would be fine. She then asked 'Do you have to wear shoes to get married?' I told her she could wear shoes if she wanted to, but she didn't have to (a destination wedding on the beach would be fine with me;). She then said 'I want to, but what shoes - my dress up ones?' I said yes, that would be fine, but she was concerned. 'But when I grow up, I'll be too big for them!'

The first thing Haley asks when she gets up each morning is related to what she's going to wear that day. We all know that fashion is important to her. Planning what she's going to wear 30 years from now (yes, I know I'm pushing it) is taking it to a whole different level, though;)

So the next sweet thing she said was 'When I grow up, I'll be able to go to work.' I told her yes and asked her what she wanted to do for her work when she grows up. She replied -I'll be able to go to work at (name of Jennifer's employer) like you, Mommy.

This was just another reminder to me that she's always watching and listening. It is such an awesome and powerful responsibility to be a parent and have a little one that wants to be like me!

No comments: