Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Margaret Whiting and Johnny Mercer

One of Haley's favorite songs is 'Baby It's Cold Outside.' The arrangement she likes the best (she does NOT like any others) is the one on the Hallmark CD, 'Santa Baby.' It has old timey versions of lots of great songs like Frosty, Jingle Bells, Winter Wonderland, All I Want for Christmas (are my two front teeth), and several others. We are STILL listening to it in the car almost every day. Haley talked about it so much before Christmas that Marynell bought a copy too. I'm hoping we can retire it before spring arrives.

Haley always wants to know the names of individuals who sing songs she listens to. She recognizes songs by Sugarland, Beyonce, Rhianna, Carrie Underwood, etc. She has asked me many times 'Mommy, who sings Baby It's Cold Outside? What's that man's name? What's that ladies name?' I've always told her I don't know, but I'll find the cd case and look one day soon. But I never did.

Today on the way home, we were listening to 'Baby It's Cold Outside.' Haley said 'Mom, that lady's name is Margaret Whiting and the man's name is Johnny Mercer.' I couldn't believe it - I knew Marynell must have looked it up for her. I asked her 'Haley, is the lady's name Margaret White or Margaret Whiting? Haley said 'Her name is Margaret WhitING.' I looked it up at home, and sure enough, she was right.

I called Marynell in the car and she said that she had indeed looked it up for Haley because Haley asked about their names a million times. Now, in addition to telling new people that she meets that 'Baby, It's Cold Outside' is her favorite song, she's also telling them who sings it ;)

No comments: